Sunday School Regulation
Please contact any Logan Islamic Center committee members, Sunday School coordinator, or Sunday School teachers if you have any questions.
Purpose and Objectives
The purpose of the LIC Sunday School is to equip Muslim students with Islamic knowledge and values so they can identify and strive in the straight path based on the Qur'an and Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) through close collaboration with the students' family.
The LIC believes that this purpose can be achieved through:
- Exposing and providing Islamic-based learning environment to the students.
- Teaching the students how to recite Al Qur'an fluently.
- Teaching the students about Islamic morals and values (akhlaq and aqidah).
All students who wish to study at the LIC Sunday School must be registered by filling up the Sunday School Registration Form which available at the Logan Islamic Center. If the student is a minor according to Utah law (i.e., under the age of 18 years old), then parents' consent is required.
Each registered student will receive a free learning book. If the book is missing for any reason, it is the student's or parent's responsibility to buy a new one. Please contact the Sunday School coordinator for more information. Registration is free of charge. However, it is encouraged to provide a $5 donation per student per month to support the Sunday school in providing free books and snacks for the students.
Parents' or Guardian's Responsibilities
As stated in the Purpose and Objectives section, we believe that parents or guardian (which will be refer as parents from here onward) have an important role in the students' (which will be refer as children from here onward) education. Therefore, we believe that it is the parents' responsibilities to:
- Monitor your children's learning progress after each Sunday School session.
Please be mindful that by the end of the class, the teachers will give each child a note containing homework (e.g., surah to practice and/or memorize and Arabic letters/words to practice) and general information about the Sunday School.
- Help your children to complete their homework.
Please do not let your children to delay working on their homework, especially for memorization homework. Remember, practice makes perfect, so their learning will be more impactful if they work on their memorization every day or every other day.
- Be aware of the Sunday School schedule.
Usually, the Sunday School will be held at 10 AM to 1 PM MST (standard) or at 11 AM to 2 PM MDT (daylight) sharp; this might be adjusted based on the situation. Please contact Sunday School coordinator for more information. It is important to note that the Sunday School will not be responsible for your children outside of this time frame. We encourage you to drop off and pick up your children on time, do not be late. Also, the Sunday School will not be responsible for any children who are not inside the Center during the school hours, so please ensure that your children are inside the Center after you drop them off.
- Provide a school bag for your children and ensure that they come and return with it.
Just like the regular school, we provide children with books and other learning materials. Having a bag, will help them in organizing these resources.
- Communicate frequently with the teachers about your children's progress.
By learning about your children, the teachers can be a better learning facilitator for them.
- Encourage your children (and yourself) to attend Sunday School regularly.
- Inform one of the teachers, the Sunday school coordinator, or any LIC committee members if your children could not attend the Sunday School.
- Teach and encourage your children to understand and comply with their responsibilities as a student (see the next section).
- Join the Sunday school WhatsApp group when it is possible for you to do so.
The Sunday School believe that learning is the responsibility of the students. The teachers, parents, and guardian can only help in facilitating their learning. Therefore, it is important for the students to understand their responsibilities, which are:
- Become an active learner.
As a student, you need to be open to new knowledge, willing to learn more, and getting involved in any learning activities.
- Attend Sunday School regularly.
- Respect the rights, feelings, and properties of fellow students, parents, teachers, visitors, center, and center neighbors.
- Conduct him/her-self according to Islamic guidelines within the Center.
- Do not bring any form of games (e.g., toys) from home.
- Complete the homework properly.
Rewards will be given to students who observe their responsibilities (e.g., attend regularly). Any violations will be tracked and notified to the parents. Three violations will result in an automatic un-registration of the student. Re-registration and proper explanation from the parents are required to be re-enrolled in Sunday School.
All teachers in the Sunday School are volunteers, may Allah rewards and protects them. As learning facilitators, the role of teachers is important. The Sunday School required teachers to:
- Be on time.
It is recommended to come at least 10 minutes before the class start. In the event that you are unable to come, you need to inform the Sunday School coordinator by Saturday of the week so he/she can arrange accordingly.
- Communicate frequently with the parents to better facilitate the students' learning.
- Be prepared and have a predetermined schedule for Sunday School.
- Engage the students during the class by making the lesson interactive or using other active learning strategies.
Please check Open Learning (http://www.openlearning.com/) and CS Unplugged (http://csunplugged.org/) for more information.
- Monitor the students' progress end encourage them to make the progress (e.g., encourage them to pray at home regularly).
The LIC Sunday School is a community-based activity. The coordinator and teachers volunteered themselves for the sake of pleasing Allah. Your donation is the main source of funding to buy books, snacks, and school supplies. Please do not hesitate to put some funds in the donation box for Sunday School at the Center or via PayPal (kindly check the LIC website).
In-kind donation in the form of food is accepted as long as it is halal according to http://www.muslimconsumergroup.com; please inform the Sunday School coordinator or any of the LIC committee members by Sunday morning at 9 AM. Other in-kind donation types are also welcome; please contact any of the LIC committee members for further information.
|Data Sources / References|
|26/SSCH/LIC/XII/2016 - Sunday School Regulation|
|29/SSCH/LIC/XII/2016 - Sunday School Regulation - December 24, 2016 Revision|
*) The data sources/references are open for everyone upon request via email.